Continuing Education Requirements
IMPORTANT!: Per Adopted Regulations R106-14 and R137-17, continuing education requirements have changed. All continuing education credits must be earned by December 31st of the renewal year. Also, licensed opticians may now earn up to four (4) credits per year for ophthalmic dispensing community service. Please see our Approved CE Providers page for more information on volunteer opportunities. Finally, the requirement for licensed opticians to earn "live" in-class credits each year has been removed from the regulations. The CE credit requirements for opticians and limited opticians are as follows:
- For renewal of a full (dual) Ophthalmic Dispenser License: 14 credits per year including at least 7 credits for contact-lens specific courses; seven (7) additional credits earned during the renewal year may be “rolled over” to the following year’s renewal; opticians are responsible for keeping track of their own roll-over credits.
- For renewal of a Limited Ophthalmic Dispenser License: 12 credits per year, with no contact-lens credit requirement; six (6) additional credits earned during the renewal year may be “rolled over” to the following year’s renewal; opticians are responsible for keeping track of their own roll-over credits.
2019 Continuing Education Course Availability
Other Continuing Education Resources
In addition to the approved courses linked above, the following options are available for Continuing Education credit:
- Any continuing education course approved or sponsored by the American Board of Opticianry, the National Committee of Contact Lens Examiners, the National Academy of Opticianry, or the Contact Lens Society of America.
- Meetings of the Nevada Board of Dispensing Opticians (maximum of seven credits per year —up to four CL credits, and three SP credits).
- Accredited CPR courses – each instructional hour is good for one SP/CL credit.
- College of Southern Nevada ophthalmic education program courses—one three-credit CSN course equals six SP/CL credits (only if not taken as part of a degree or certificate program required for apprenticeship).
- Earning your ABO or NCLE Advanced Certification (within the current renewal year) - either certification is worth a full year (14) of CE credits.
- Community service - you may earn up to 4 "live," CE credits for providing ophthalmic community service (must include dispensing experience)
Course Approval Request
Complete and submit this
form to request board approval of a continuing education course you plan to
present or attend for license renewal credit.